August 4, 2012|
The Burpees Exercise
A burpee is what Americans would call a “squat thrust.” It is an all in one complete body workout routine that includes combined aerobic and strength training exercises. Actors, professional athletes, and military soldiers have been using burpee exercises for years to get into tip top shape fast. This intense but simple workout will burn fat and create lean muscle tone in no time. No expensive trainer necessary.
How to Do a 4 Count Burpee Just a little suggestion for anyone about to attempt this exercise. Make sure to wear loose clothing and stretch first. Performed incorrectly you can seriously injure yourself, so please be careful. Start out slow and then increase your speed gradually. You might also want to tell onlookers to step back. Nothing beats a good horse kick to the face.
1. Start off in a standing position. 2. Squat down and place your hands flat on the ground. (Count 1) 3. Now kick your legs behind you, so that you are now in a front plank or push up position. (Count 2) 4. Quickly return to the squat position. (Count 3) 5. Now jump straight up into the air. (Count 4) 6. Repeat steps 1-5.
Another version starts at the push up position with body lowered, followed by a push up, where the person would then bring their legs up into a squatting position, and then stand up. Called the “burpee push-up.”
Such as seen in this image:
Muscles Worked During a Burpees Exercise
Burpees are a full body workout, and use a wide range of muscles in each move. The major muscle movements involve contracting, flexing, and stabilizing motions, such as you would experience in a mild weight training session mixed with an intense aerobic workout. Below is a list of muscles worked by count.
-The Squat: quadriceps (front of the thight), hamstrings (rear of the thigh), gluteus maximus (your butt)
-The Leg Thrust hamstrings, gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hip flexors, rectus abdominus, abs, along with arm, chest, and shoulder muscles
-The Pushup: pecoralis major (chest muscles), deltoids (shoulder muscles), triceps (rear upper arm), rectus abdominus, quadriceps
-The Foward Jump: hip flexor, abdominal muscles, and the upper body muscles
-The Vertical Jump: quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus maximus, and deltoids
Besides being amusingly entertaining for everyone watching someone perform the exercise, burpees have numerous beneficial qualities for the person doing them too. A well balanced diet with 5 to 10 minutes of burpees exercises a day will have you looking and feeling great fast.
- Strength: You will build and strengthen muscles throughout your entire body.
- Improved Cardiovascular: A round of burpee exercises is equal to a full cardio workout. Great for the heart.
- Muscle Tone: Mixing elements of strength training and aerobics means you end up with muscle definition from head to toe.
-Weight Loss: Try to find an exercise that sheds fat better. Try them for 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 1 month, and you will be so glad you read this article.
-Money Saver: Forget gym fees and expensive equipment. You only need 2 things to get a complete workout. Your body and a little space. Wouldn’t want to kick a vase on the leg kick. Check and check.
Four Other Burpee Variations:
Burpees are a great way to get in shape, but honestly doing the same exercise over and over can get a bit boring. Once that happens you lose interest in exercising, and then you end up back where you started. Not a problem.
Here is a list of different burpee exercises for you to try. Or if you feel adventerous you can make up your own.
1. Knee Push-up Burpee: The knees are bent and placed on the ground before performing a push up.
2. Long Jump Burpee: Jump forward instead of upward.
3. Tuck Jump Burpee: As you jump up into the air bring your legs up to your chest.
4. Dumbell Burpee: A regular burpee exercise using weights.
Think of burpees as workout braces. Yes, the name is funny and you will sure look silly doing them, but the final results will be worth it. Whether you are looking to lose weight or just tone up, burpee exercises are a great fit for ever exercise regiment. Funny name. Serious results. Remember be safe and have fun.